Partner

Enter Your Baby's Photo Today To Win!

Apr 4, 2008

Parenting A Teenager - What A Teen Wishes You Knew

parenting a teenagerAre you parenting a teenager? Will contribute to what he (or she) is thinking?

Recently I sat down with 17-year-old young woman, Amy (not his real name), and asked her this question.

(Colleen) "Amy, what do teenagers have frustrations with their parents? What desire adolescents could tell their parents, but often do not?"

(Amy) "Well, let me think a minute. Okay, here is a thought. Parents are always complaining to us (teenagers) do not do what we said. I am talking about things like work and such. But the Parents need to remember that most adolescents have really full schedules.

"Honestly, often just forget to do all that is asked and then get in trouble and the situation escalates.

"What I found works for me is for my mother to give me a list of what she wants to do and where she wants it done. Then I am able to adjust the jobs in all my other activities and if I forget , it really is my fault. I keep up much better with my tasks this way, I like to manage more my own timetable. "

(Colleen) "That's good information, Amy. Any other thoughts?"

(Amy) "Yes Another thing that parents can consider is whether they have a specific rule and say there is one exception to this rule, defines the exception up front. Not make us figure out by trial and error, and then getting into Apuros. You can not read your mind. "

(Colleen) "Parents get frustrated by that one, too. Anything else?"

(Amy) "I also think that pushing all the time to join family activities only makes adolescents tune out. For me, I like to spend time with my family, but not every minute of every day. I want to spend time with my friends, too.

"If I know that it is important to be in family things, and then I make sure I am there and I plan with my friends, too. Over a balanced plan."

(Colleen) "Thank you, Amy, for sharing with us. Your comments are very insightful." (End of interview.)

Good food for thought, is it not? (If you would enjoy more tips on paternity adolescents, please consult the author of the resource box below.) Make Amy's frustrations sound familiar? You may want to sit up with their own teen and ask them these questions. But be prepared to listen and not talk if you want a real answer!

Parenting a teenager can be hard work. Good parenting means listening and guiding. Giving a measure of freedom within clear limits and often walk a fine line of balance.

And lots of hugs are a good idea, too!

0 comments:

 

Pink Girlz Blogger Template | Blogger Clicks Design